As discussed in Alberta Education’s document on the Principal Quality Standard, a principal “understands and responds appropriately to the political, social, economic, legal and cultural contexts impacting the school.”
I have met the listed criteria by:
- Consistently, during reports, meetings and conversations, advocate for the specific need of each individual child. This ensures that the students have all of the appropriate supports and accessible resources in place for a student to be successful.
- Regularly ask students to evaluate and discuss elements, ideas and projects in class, which allows for students to make suggestions about their interests and likes when in school.
- Actively striving to remain connected, both locally and globally, through networks with other individuals. This allows me to discuss issues and educational trends. It also allows me to keep up to date with new resources and pedagogy, therefore improving my educational practices.
- Emphasizing the importance of our school program and our schools partnership to colleagues and members of the community.
- Constantly, seeking information and understanding about the needs of our student population to provide the best resources and practices.